Required Changes to Research Protocols in Response to COVID-19
City University of Seattle is committed to protecting the rights and welfare of all individuals who participate as subjects in research, as well as, researchers. Please find here the mandatory changes in research protocols due to COVID-19 related risks.
Use of Email for Transmitting and Receiving Research Documents
Given the current restrictions on face to face contact with research participants, correspondence with research participants can be conducted via email and/or video interviews. Please refer to the IRB Informed Consent Guide in the related files section of this page (below) and adhere to the following process to ensure participants’ privacy and confidentiality:
- All correspondence with research participants and transmission of research documents between the researcher and the participant is required to be conducted via City U email and all documents (Informed Consent Forms, research data collection instruments) must be encrypted/password protected. The email to research participants that contains encrypted/password protected research documents is required to contain directions to the participant describing the process of returning signed encrypted/password protected documents.
- Informed consent can be obtained verbally by recording at the onset of the video interview the researcher reviewing the informed consent form, having the participant acknowledge that they understand what has been read to them and that they verbally state their consent to participate.
What does an Institutional Review Board do?
Revisions to the Common Rule effective January 21, 2019.
Institutional Review Board Guidelines for Submission of Ethics Review Protocols.
Successfully Prepare your Ethical Review Protocol for submission.
Ethical Review Protocol PDF Download Instructions
Please follow the step-by-step instructions to download the Ethical Review Protocol PDF template. You must download the PDF to your computer before adding content.
- Step One: Download the Ethical Review Protocol Form to your personal computer.
- Step Two: Save the Ethical Review Protocol Form to your personal computer.
- Step Three: Re-open the saved Ethical Review Protocol Form from your saved file on your personal computer. Enter your research content.
- Step Four: Review IRB Ethical Review Protocol Guidelines B (revised 2020) document located below in the Related Files section of this page. This document details exactly what is required for each question of the Ethical Review Protocol.
- Step Five: Save the completed Ethical Review Protocol to your personal computer. You will submit this saved copy of the form.
- IRB Ethical Review Protocol Form A eff 2018-2019 [pdf]
- IRB-Ethical-Review-Protocol-Guidelines-B-Revised2020 [pdf]
- IRB Word Copies of the Consent Forms C Rev 1-2019 [vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document]
- IRB CityU Organizational Consent Template r1 [vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document]
- IRB General Statement of ConfidentialityREV [msword]
- IRB-Informed-Consent-Guide-C-rev-041420 [vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document]
- IRB Response Form 2016-2017e3 [pdf]
- IRB Policies and Procedure Handbook eff 6-2014 [pdf]
- IRB Notice of Research Completion or Request for IRB Extension Template [msword]
- IRB Autoethnographic Informed Consent Form eff.082019 [vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document]