AS in General Studies

Welcome

My name is Cindy Singleton and I have been with CityU since 2011. The most rewarding part of my job is helping students achieve their educational goals. I appreciate the diverse experiences, beliefs, and skills of each student which makes the learning experience truly unique and engaging.

My degrees include a Master of Arts in Adult Education & Training, a Bachelor of Science in Communications, and Associate of Arts in Website Multimedia Authoring, Journalism, and Office Administration/Computer Programming. Both, my master and bachelor programs, were completed entirely online. I earned these degrees while working full time, maintaining a home, and raising children so I understand the challenges of many adult learners. In 2017, I completed certification programs in technical writing and TESOL (teaching English to students of other languages).

Student success is a top priority, so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or feedback about this course. I’ve been known to respond to students within hours—sometimes minutes—but I do ask that you allow 48 hours for me to respond.

Best of luck with your studies!

About the Program

General Studies students earn degrees by studying a broad, interdisciplinary series of courses rather than a defined departmental curriculum. The design of the general studies degree programs allows students to assemble their own interdisciplinary academic program, which may be narrowly focused or contain a wide spectrum of curricular elements. The curriculum is designed to provide maximum flexibility and meet the particular educational objectives of each student. These degrees give a unique opportunity to develop a multi-disciplinary and carefully focused course of study, which fulfills traditional university requirements while meeting each student’s specific goals for a college degree.

The Associate of Science in General Studies is a flexible, two-year program that introduces students to a given field and prepares them for entry-level positions or seamless continuation to a Bachelor’s degree program at City University of Seattle. No prior post-secondary study is necessary to enroll in the program, and it is wholly compatible with, and transferable to, further undergraduate study at City University of Seattle and elsewhere.

CityU’s General Studies program sets the foundation for a variety of career trajectories or educational goals. Using your degree, you will learn to think critically, analyze data and solve problems creatively.

• Transfer credits: Students with prior college credits or formal non-collegiate training can transfer up to 65 lower-division credits.
  • Military students: Students in the military can transfer up to 85 credits and use military education and training credits to pay for school.
  • Customizable: Students can assemble their own interdisciplinary academic program.

The AS in General Studies program outcomes can be found here.

Program Faculty

Anna Cholewinska, M.A.

Program Director & Associate Professor

View Profile

Amy Reuter, M.S.

Associate Faculty

View Profile

Sofia Fernandez Lopez, MA

Associate Faculty

View Profile

Garrin Ross, M.S.

Principal Faculty

View Profile

Geoff Pope, M.A.

Associate Faculty

View Profile

Steve Cave, M.A.

Associate Faculty

View Profile